[cups.general] Does 1.2.0 still use passwd in URI for smb printers?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu May 11 10:03:26 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it true that smb printing requires explicit entry of userid and
> clear-text password in the uri? Has this changed in 1.2.0? I haven't
> actually tried this. Just some of my colleagues have mentioned this
> in the past as a result I may have phrased this incorrectly or worse
> misunderstood the issue.

This is still the case, although CUPS 1.2 now offers a way for the
Samba smbspool program (which is the smb backend) to indicate that
it needs a password so that CUPS can add it with the information from
the user session that initiated the print job.  However, you'll need
to ask the Samba folks to add this code...