ldap info

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 12 04:27:58 PDT 2006

oly wrote:
> can some one give me some info about cups 1.2, it says it supports
> ldap does this mean i can use ldap to assign which groups / people
> can access each printer on the network this would be useful as i
> currently have about 20 laser printers and about 1000 users around
> this site.

CUPS can use LDAP to advertise and discover printers, via the
BrowseProtocols, BrowseLocalProtocols, and BrowseRemoteProtocols
directives.

For LDAP users and groups, you want to edit the /etc/nsswitch.conf
file on your system and update the passwd: and group: lines there to
point to LDAP as well as "files".  That will automatically provide
the functionality you seek, to all UNIX apps.