HP Laserjet 5000 with CUPS problem

Raymond raytunghk at yahoo.com.hk
Mon May 15 01:13:02 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've a Linux Fedora Core 4 setup to receive faxes images and converted them to PDFs using gs and then print them using the command 'lpr' to local printer (HP LaserJet 5000) via parallel port. Using CUPS version 1.1.23 and the PPD file downloaded from this site, test printing with some sample PDFs with no problem. However, sometimes the printer won't print and the print jobs get queued up in the Linux box. Checking the print queue with the 'lpq' command shows that the printer is ready and printing, with the 1st job in active state but just wouldn't get printed. I had to manually kill that offending job then things resume normal. I then submit that print job again later and no problem
whatsoever... funny thing is, this behaviour seems appear randomly, and I've tried changing the hardware (printer, printer cable etc.) but this wouldn't help.

Does anyone has any idea how to resolve this? Thank you very much!!!

Rgds,
Raymond.