[cups.general] CUPS 1.2.0 [NOT?] available for SLES

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue May 16 01:48:00 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 15 12:31 marc at arctic.net wrote (shortened):
> I do have a cups 1.1.23 suse rpm version for Suse Pro 10
> running on SLES 9 on an intel box with no issues

As SLES9 is based upon Suse Linux 9.1 it is pure luck that it
runs with no issues on your system.

Of course when you know exactly what you do you can force the
installation of software which is built with newer compilers
and linked with never libraries on your system but normally
it is better to use software which is built and linked with
stuff which is not newer than what you have on your system.
In general prefer software which is built for Suse Linux 9.1
for testing with SLES9 but in particular for CUPS 1.2 you
find it built for SLES9 on
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kssingvo/unsupported/CUPS/RPMS/

I don't know if CUPS 1.2 was tested somewhere with SLES9.
It was not tested by us.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de