[cups.general] CUPS 1.1.23 pstops and%%BeginFeature...%%EndFeature

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed May 17 00:37:30 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 16 10:05 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> So, you printed a letter-sized document on OOo and got the
> appropriate printer command in the printed version of that
> document.  If you want to override the document size, change it in
> OOo.

You mean when I get a OOo PS file made by someone in the US
and then I like to print it in Germany, I should either buy
Letter paper or request the author to make it for me in A4?
;-)

Don't mind - I give up - the mess will never end with those
applications which produce problematic PostScript and
certainly it is not CUPS which is responsible to correct
whatever weird PostScript it gets from some applications.

Remember the "%%Orientation: Landscape" problem:
Unfortunately the users complained about CUPS and it did
not help to tell them that CUPS worked correct regarding
the DSC spec. and that the applications use %%Orientation
in a wrong way. In the end we were forced to provide a
workaround to "fix" it via an additional CUPS pre-filtering
step.

Or remember the Mozilla level 3 PostScript problem:
To get Mozilla's level 3 PostScript printed on level 2 printers,
we added a PostScript prefilter (using Ghostscript's pswrite)
to convert it but then the users complained about side-effects
of this workaround so that it would have been better not to have
the workaround and simply let it fail to print at all on
level 2 printers which would have forced the problem to be
solved in Mozilla. Meanwhile Mozilla does no longer produce
level 3 (at least not by default in any case) so that we
removed the workaround.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de