Allow anyone to start a printer?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 17 08:09:29 PDT 2006

Andrew wrote:
>>> For some reasons, sometimes at our office our printers are stopped (as reported in the CUPS web interface).  So, I have to enter my root password to start the printer.  (Then, there are problems when I'm not around to do it.)
>>>
>>> Is there a way to automatically restart printers?  Or, is there a way to allow anyone in 192.168.0.x to start any printer without a password?
>> What version of CUPS are you using?
>
> On the first system (Trustix Secure Linux), cups-1.1.23-7tr.  The second system (Fedora Core 5) was running CUPS 1.1 until yesterday---but now cups-1.2.0-1.1.

For the 1.1.x system, create a cron job that enables any printers
that are disabled - you can find a ton of them by searching the
forum archives on cups.org.

For the 1.2.x system, change the error policy to "retry-job", either
through the web interface or with:

     lpadmin -p printername -o printer-error-policy=retry-job