Disabling password authentication with cancel command?

Joakim Nyberg joakim.nyberg at kolumbus.fi
Wed May 17 23:46:34 PDT 2006

> Joakim Nyberg wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > I am currently making a kiosk like computer solution for the school I work at.
> > One function should be that there is a button from which you can delete the print queue. But when I try to run the command cancel -a it asks for a password. Is there any way to disable this password authentication?
> > I know that I can change the web interface authentication from the cupsd.conf file but that does not seem to affect the cancel command.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need some more information how the system is set up I will gladly provide it to you.
>
> You can either edit the source code (CUPS 1.1.x) or upgrade to CUPS
> 1.2 which offers this as an option (via the new policy support).

Thank you, I have now updated to CUPS 1.2. I am trying to figure out how to set a policy for allowing the cancellation of jobs by a non-root user with the command line command cancel.
I am not sure but is the "Policy" section in cupsd.conf only for the webinterface or does it also affect the command-line commands?
Any hints on how to set the policy would be great!

Regards,
Joakim Nyberg