[cups.general] Q. Is https required for remote administration?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 18 07:48:21 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> wtautz wrote:

>> So it looks like gnutls is being used. I guess to get around the
>> licensing issue
>> the Debian doesn't like . So encryption is being used.
>> I get the problem if I start with http://servername:443 I can't even
>> connect.
>> On the server I see a CLOSE_WAIT if I use lsof -i. This may be a local
>> issue.
>

> First, make sure you have an /etc/cups/ssl directory; the GNU TLS
> support includes automatic server certificate generation, so the
> first connect will be a little slow.  You can look in the error_log
> file for any encryption errors that show up...

Yes, I don't have the openssl package installed which contains /etc/ssl
Looks like the Ubuntu package should have openssl as a dependency
and they left it out.

What should I be looking for in error_log. Doesn't seem to contain
anything informative
and I have LogLevel at debug2

I can connect to http://servername:443 but trying
to add a printer still results in same Upgrade message 426.  Trying
to start over seems to result in delays again, i.e, I can not connect
to http://servername:443 nor https://servername.

/etc/init.d/cupsys restart

lsof -i
cupsd     368 cupsys    0u  IPv6  69516       TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd     368 cupsys    2u  IPv4  69517       TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd     368 cupsys    3u  IPv6  69518       TCP *:https (LISTEN)
cupsd     368 cupsys    4u  IPv4  69519       TCP *:https (LISTEN)

I think I'll try to build from the original source from www.cups.org
and see what I get there. At least it starts up as root. I think
Debian/Ubuntu
has patched your source somehow to prevent it from starting up as root...not
really sure.

Walter
ps. Perhaps there is a way to run strace that might help?