[cups.general] Q. Is https required for remote administration? finally worked, see details

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 19 06:22:39 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> wtautz wrote:
>
>> Michael Sweet wrote:

>>> First, make sure you have an /etc/cups/ssl directory; the GNU TLS
>>> support includes automatic server certificate generation, so the
>>> first connect will be a little slow.  You can look in the error_log
>>> file for any encryption errors that show up...
>>>
>> Yes, I don't have the openssl package installed which contains /etc/ssl
>> Looks like the Ubuntu package should have openssl as a dependency
>> and they left it out.
>

> Look for /etc/cups/ssl, not /etc/ssl.  /etc/cups/ssl should exist
> and may contain a server.crt and server.key file.

This finally showed up in /etc/cups/ssl/ !
I guess I wasn't patient enough. It seemed to take an inordinate amount
of time.

Now I seem to be able to connect and I was able to connect after
accepting the certificate
and remote administration via http://servername:443 works!

Perhaps a bug should be filed against the package to the Ubuntu
maintainer? It sounds like
the /etc/cups/ssl directory has to be made, especially since they linked
cupsd to libgnutls?
Also it took ages to get it to generate the key. There appears to be a
report at
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/44931/+viewstatus
similar to my complaint. Also,
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/45099