[cups.general] cups-1.2.0 built from source (from www.cups.org)doesn't generate server.{key,crt}, etc

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 19 10:49:40 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Is the search tool at http://www.cups.org/str.php
> broken? I can seem to find anything when I type search terms
> into it. In particular nothing about the stuff below. Perhaps
> I'm doing this wrong :-(

The search function only looks in the summary, subsystem, version,
and user fields - it doesn't search the text records for each STR.
(Not sure what to do about that - joining the tables is too slow
to be usable, but I'll investigate our options...)

> It seems that server.key and server.crt don't get generated. I had to use
> the openssl command to do this myself.

Didn't you post that the files *did* get generated not too long
ago?  Wasn't the issue the missing /etc/cups/ssl directory?

Anyways, looking at the ldd output you provided, this cupsd is
linked against OpenSSL, and the automatic certificate generation
is currently only supported with GNU TLS - the OpenSSL APIs for
key and certificate generation are quite primitive, and we didn't
have time to duplicate all of the openssl CLI tool code to do
it...

If you'd like to see this functionality, post a RFE on the CUPS
bug page:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

> Second, I added a printer successfully after doing the key generating
> but then a second later it claims permission denied even though I checked
> and the printer had indeed been added.

Might be the set-printer-options redirect was being refused - any
errors in the error_log file?

> Is the encrpytion requirement hardwired? Because I tried saying
> Encryption Never,(yes
> I know this wouldn't be a good idea, just experimenting)  see cups.conf
> below.

The DefaultEncryption directive kicks in whenever authentication is
required.  Using "DefaultEncryption Never" should be sufficient to
disable the encryption requirement.