[cups.general] Billing system for CUPS

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun May 21 10:47:08 PDT 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:44:33AM -0400, Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
> I've asked this before, and found there was nothing suitable, so I
> asking again on the chance that things have changed. A quick Google
> search turned up nothing, so here goes:
>
> We use the Pharos Uniprint system to bill university students for
> printing in the public labs. Uniprint can withdraw the fee from the
> student's cash card. Is there anything like this yet for CUPS? There
> was something before that would bill a student account via CUPS, but
> that won't work for us. But as a subproject, it might be something
> we might be interested in undertaking, if we can get some help.

On the proprietary software side, I think PaperCut NG can probably
do what you want (http://www.papercut.biz)

There are several Free Software which could be more or less easily
extended to do such things, because to my knowledge none of them
support cash cards.

If you're willing to give me sufficient details on how these cards
work, I'd be glad to make such a system work with PyKota
(http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation)
in a future release.

bye

Jerome Alet