[cups.general] client print does not look the same as printed on server

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon May 22 02:40:27 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 19 11:37 Susan_Zimmerman at navyfederal.org wrote (shortened):
> I have created two Linux systems.  One to act as a CUPS server and the
> other to act as the CUPS client.
> When I print a document from KDE while logged on to the server machine, the
> document has a title which contains the date and page number.  It also
> prints right away.
>
> When printing  a document from KDE while logged on to the client machine,
> it takes about 3-4 minutes to print (I'm talking about a test document that
> has 1 line of data).  Not only does it take a long time to print, but it
> also does not have a title and it chops off the top part of the first line.

Regarding the "3-4 minutes":
What about DMA timeouts?
Prefer IP addresses.

Regarding "chops off the top part":
What about wrong page size settings on the client machine
(e.g. A4 in the application on the client but Letter for
the queue on the server)?

In general see for example
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
in particular the "Configuring CUPS in the Network" section.

To get an idea regarding different printouts from different
machines have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS

Furthermore KDE has its own internal settings reagrding printing
which may not match to what is set for CUPS - to get an idea
see for example the meanwhile a bit outdated article
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_for_ASCII_Texts_with_CUPS

By the way:
Since our support database was converted from the old HTML style
to the new Wiki stlye, all more complicated list environments are
messed up because of the limited synax of Wiki list environments
(there is no closing tag for a list item) but I don't have the
time to correct all the mess manually at once.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de