CUPS virtualized using chroot

Greg Surbey gregsurbey at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:04:58 PDT 2006

I am attempting to run multiple instances of CUPS on one Linux server using chrooted environments, one per an ip alias.  I’m running into some issues while doing this.  In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf :

<code>
# NOTE 2: In order for the command-line and web interfaces to work, you
# must have at least one Port or Listen line that allows access from the
# local loopback address (localhost).
#
Listen 10.200.68.167:631
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
</code>

If I take out the listen to localhost line the CUPS server refuses to start as NOTE 2 states.  If I place the localhost entry in the configuration then CUPS will start but then there are other issues if I try to start a second CUPS process.  The second CUPS process will fail if its set to the same localhost binding so then I change it to something like Listen 127.0.0.1:35000.  Also, the CGI scripts for the second CUPS instance do not seem to be able to communicate with the second CUPS backend process.  The lp command line tools function normally when used with the –h switch.  But netstat shows a binding on udp 0 0.0.0.0:631 to listen on all ips on that port and I’m not sure if that’s a good practice when the config is told to bind to only one ip address.  These issues seem to make me believe that CUPS was not made to be virtualizable and to be run through many chrooted environments and be ip aliased on the same Linux server.  Although the good news is printing to these multiple CUP instances works fine.