printing systems

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue May 23 05:31:04 PDT 2006

vijay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install the CUPS in sun solaris.
> How to do it? What are all the printing systems available in sun solaris?
> How i can change the printing systems?
> like from LPRng to CUPS?
>
> Regards,
> Vijay.

The default printing system that comes with Solaris is the SYSV style lp system.
As it is split into several packages, it is not easy to uninstall (and may be
even dangerous).

The easiest way to install CUPS is to compile it from the sources and
install it under /usr/local (the default on Solaris) and prevent the SYSV
printing system from being started by making /etc/lp/printers an empty file.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung