cups to cups printing Qs

Dave Botsch dwb7 at cornell.edu
Tue May 23 19:48:42 PDT 2006

Hi.

A couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to in the cups
docs anyplace...

1. if printing to a CUPS shared printer (meaning no setup was done on the
client computer other than to browse the network for shared printers),
does the client essentially do a raw print and just send whatever the
application generated to the cups server for appropriate filtering?

2. if I have a client computer, running a cupsd, and setup a printer on
that computer, and specify that it should talk to a CUPS(IPP) server (on
which I have also setup the printer), does the printer have to be setup as
a RAW queue on either the client or server? I see two possibilities here:

A. the printer is a postscript printer, in which case the client computer
would run through its cupsd filter chain, convert to
application/vnd.cups-postscript and send this over IPP to the server
computer which would then have to decide what to do with
application/vnd.cups-postscript and I don't see anything in the mime.convs
file which tells the server's cupsd what to do with this filetype. Is it
smart enough to realize that this has already been filtered to a certain
stage and go from there? Or will it not know what to do and fail out?

B. the printer is not a postscript printer, in which case the client cupsd
would run through its filters to finally come out w. printer raster and
then fire up the IPP backend and send this over to the server computer.
Would the server realize that, hey, a cupsd on a client is talking to me,
so, I can just send this onto the printer or would the server cups say, I
don't know what this is, and just give up?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

--
David William Botsch
dwb7 at cornell.edu