cups to cups printing Qs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 24 06:35:06 PDT 2006

Dave Botsch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> A couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to in the cups
> docs anyplace...
>
> 1. if printing to a CUPS shared printer (meaning no setup was done on the
> client computer other than to browse the network for shared printers),
> does the client essentially do a raw print and just send whatever the
> application generated to the cups server for appropriate filtering?

Yes.

> 2. if I have a client computer, running a cupsd, and setup a printer on
> that computer, and specify that it should talk to a CUPS(IPP) server (on
> which I have also setup the printer), does the printer have to be setup as
> a RAW queue on either the client or server? I see two possibilities here:

There are no absolutes here.  If you add the printer with:

     lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://server/printers/printername -m raw

then the job will be filtered on the server, and if you use a local
printer driver ("-m filename.ppd" instead of "-m raw" above) then it
will be filtered on the client side and sent raw.  The server will
only filter the file as needed.