[cups.general] trying to print from z/VM RSCS to CUPS-LPR

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu May 25 07:08:14 PDT 2006

Susan_Zimmerman at navyfederal.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please bear with me as I am very new to CUPS , Linux, and z/VM.  Our
> environment is SUSE SLES9 SP3 running on a zSeries (z990)  in an LPAR
> running under z/VM 5.1.
>
> I have a Linux system with CUPS running as a server.  From what I've read,
> it sounds like CUPS has a limited lpd service available.
>
> I have set up my z/VM system to use RSCS to send data over an LPR link to
> my Linux system.
>
> I issued the chkconfig --list cups-lpd and it shows xinetd based services:
> cups-lpd : on
>
> When I start my link from z/VM, it shows the link as ready for session
> initiation, however nothing prints.
>
> Do I need to configure cups-lpd?
>
> I've used RSCS LPR to talk to a  Linux system that has LPD (as opposed to
> cups-lpd).
>
> Does anyone out there know whether what I'm trying to do is even possible
> with CUPS?
>
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> susan

Check your xinetd configuration regarding cups-lpd. Perhaps you need
to supply the "-o document-format=application/octed-stream" to force
mime autodetection. And, it may be helpful to configure your syslogd
to log anything from cups-lpd.

If nothing else helps, you could compile a hacked version of cups-lpd
that dows nothing but dumping the received LPD command(s), the control
file, and the data file(s) to a temporary file and look at that for further
examination.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke