cups relaying remote broadcasts to a local subnet

Greg Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Thu May 25 07:39:16 PDT 2006

> Everyone,
>
> I posted a request last week on the Fedora list that I have not received much information about.  I am still not able to solve the problem and am hopeful that some of you might be able to help.  I am unable to broadcast cups remote printer information to a local subnet that is different than the external network card.
>
> In looking at the cups examples I have not seen any example of this capability so I am wondering if anyone else has made this work or is
> this a design limit of cups.
>
> Here is the example ip address obviously have been changed
>
> "Remote A" 70.69.68.67     <->     "Remote C" 64.35.30.18
>
> "Remote B" 64.70.99.20     <->     "Remote C" 64,35,30,18
>

> Remote A is a two ethernet card gateway to a local network
> Remote B is a one ethernet card gateway to a local network
> Remote C is a two ethernet card gateway to a local network
>
> Remote B has only one card because it is attached to an isp's router
> that has NAT translation to a local subnet of 10.0.0.0
>
> I am able to get broadcasted printer information into the local network
> of Remote  B, but not Remote A or Remote C.  The difference obviously
> being the fact that A and C have an internal and external ethernet
> cards.
>
> When I look at the examples on the cups documentation or ESP
> documentation I have not found any examples of a two network card
> machine broadcasting to an internal subnet different than the external
> subnet.  There are examples of broadcasting to an internal subnet that
> has the same subnet as the external card.
>
> I have used the following on Remote C
> BrowseRelay RemoteA @IF(eth1)10.0.0.255
> and when I use etheral to look at what is coming out of eth1 I am not seeing either Remote A or Remote B packets.
>
> I would like to know if any of you have been able to make cups broadcast
> remote printer information to an external ethernet card and then through
> the internal ethernet card using a different subnet for a local network.
> If this is possible I would sure like some help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Ennis

I had filed a bug report on the cups site, but turns out this was not a bug.  There is a solution, but if it is documented I surely missed it.

Here is my addendum to the bug report:

For a two ethernet card to be able to broadcast locally and remotely a pritner attached to one of the machines inside the local network must be set up not only on the local machine, but also on the gateway machine.

This configuration allows cups to braodcast the information remotely as well as locally.

I would suggest that this configuration be documented in your "How To's" for others that are trying to do the same thing.

Thanks for developing such wonderful software!!!!!!!!

Greg Ennis