[cups.general] Some feature the configure script should have abetter default cupsd.conf at build time.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu May 25 12:29:56 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Feature Request: It would be nice to be able to specify CUPS_STATEDIR
> Curently it seems to be specified as "$localstatedir/run/cups"
> I notice that one can do control where the cache directory is and the
> log directory
> how about adding a ---with-statedir option to configure?
> where $localstatedir presumably seems to  be specified via --localstatedir
> Also it would be nice to control where the backend stuff gets installed.

The existing "--localstatedir=/foo" option supports this, although
CUPS will always use $localstatedir/run/cups.  Is there a reason
why the default (FHS-compliant) value is no good?

> Q. I assume that config.h file contains all the the special CUPS_
> variables? I.e. all the
> hardwired, possibly configurable via cupsd.conf parameters?
>
> Feature request: Could you folks generate a cupsd.conf file that
> includes all the hardwired
> defaults COMMENTED out and a note that these represent the defaults. I
> believe
> the developer of lprng use to do something like this....

CUPS 1.1.x did this, and it only served to confuse many users - i.e.
why show them - do I need to uncomment them, etc?

The new on-line help includes a "Standard Configuration" help page
(under "Getting Started") which shows all of the configure-controlled
defaults.