[cups.general] Some feature the configure script should have a better default cupsd.conf at build time.

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 25 13:00:41 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> wtautz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Feature Request: It would be nice to be able to specify CUPS_STATEDIR
>> Curently it seems to be specified as "$localstatedir/run/cups"
>> I notice that one can do control where the cache directory is and the
>> log directory
>> how about adding a ---with-statedir option to configure?
>> where $localstatedir presumably seems to  be specified via
>> --localstatedir
>> Also it would be nice to control where the backend stuff gets installed.
>

> The existing "--localstatedir=/foo" option supports this, although
> CUPS will always use $localstatedir/run/cups.  Is there a reason
> why the default (FHS-compliant) value is no good?

We have a fairly weird setup, basically for non-vendor stuff
we put it into /software/packagename-version/....
obviously I could just hack the configure script myself but I figured
I'd mention it since the "correct" way would be to change configure.in
and other macros....

See http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/mfcf/documentation/xhier/
for more about the way we package software....if you have a few
minutes to waste :-) It's a bit old perhaps but it permits supporting
software on different platforms, mostly unix-like.

>> Q. I assume that config.h file contains all the the special CUPS_
>> variables? I.e. all the
>> hardwired, possibly configurable via cupsd.conf parameters?
>>
>> Feature request: Could you folks generate a cupsd.conf file that
>> includes all the hardwired
>> defaults COMMENTED out and a note that these represent the defaults. I
>> believe
>> the developer of lprng use to do something like this....
>

> CUPS 1.1.x did this, and it only served to confuse many users - i.e.
> why show them - do I need to uncomment them, etc?

Perhaps if an instructive comment was put in along with commented out
option ;-)

> The new on-line help includes a "Standard Configuration" help page
> (under "Getting Started") which shows all of the configure-controlled
> defaults.

Ok.