[cups.general] password on the localhost

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon May 29 02:07:09 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 26 17:44 Biljana wrote (shortened):
> I am just configuring printer epson dx3850
> in suse 9.2.Since it failed via yast,I wanted
> to do it manually following the web page of epson.
> What I manage is to install needed file:
>
> pips-scx3700-cups-2.6.3-1.i386.rpm

This is partially proprietary binary-only i386-only printer
software form Epson Avasys.

Depending on their exact package version this software may be
considered as "alpha" state because it works not in compliance
how CUPS works.
For example there may be no readymade PPD file but you may have
to create one by calling a special command.
Additionally the output device may be fixed set for one single
printer in a special config file and the DeviceURI setting for
the CUPS backend is ignored.
Therefore it should be possible to manually set up this software
for CUPS (see their "Readme" files) but there may be no support
by any of the usual CUPS printer setup tools.

Have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support

> 1)How to do reset the cups?
>
> 2)Looks like I do not remember my password
> on the localhost,I thought it is the same as root
> but it is not. Could I change it somehow?

See
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on

General notes regarding support requests:

Please proceed as described under
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/support/
or as described in the documentation or on a flyer which
is included in our product.

If you use software packages which you did not get from
our official software sources (our CDs or DVDs or our
official software updates) and/or if you use self-compiled
software, we normally do not provide support for such software.

If you use third-party software, you should ask the manufacturer
of the third-party software regarding support for their software.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de