LDAP Browsing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 29 14:20:02 PDT 2006

dkastens.uos wrote:
> is there a documentation on how LDAP browsing works?

Not at this time.

> - The cupsd searches for a printerType attribute, which is not
> described in the printer.schema. When the attribute is not present,
> cupsd dies with a segmentation fault. What value does cupsd expect?

Please report this as a bug at:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

The printerType attribute corresponds to the CUPS printer-type
attribute, which is documented here:

     http://www.cups.org/documentation/spec-ipp.html

> - When the printerURI is not set in quotation marks, cupsd returns a
> "Bad printer URI" error.

That might be an LDAP thing, but I'd file this as a bug too so we
can research the problem...

> - cupsd searches my ldap server but no printer is added to my cups
> configuration. How does ldap browsing work?

LDAP browsing only advertises or discovers printers that are
already configured on a CUPS server - it cannot be used to configure
a CUPS server from a central LDAP server.