redirecting printers

Michael De Vlaminck michael.devlaminck at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed May 31 06:16:36 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm using cups 1.1 for our printing system.
We have 2 different printservers, one for our department and one for the
secretary network.
I was experimenting with the redirecting/forwarding of printqueues.
We need this redirecting in case one of the printers breakes down so we
can redirect the jobs from those queues to another printer.

Our clients use the printers by polling aqua for printers using the
browsepoll directive.

I've tried the following 3 redirects on our departemental server:
Aqua is our departemental server and happy is the secr network server.

1. printer1 at aqua redirects to printer2 on aqua
	using ipp://127.0.0.1/printers/printer2
2. printer3 at aqua redirects to printer-secr at happy
	using ipp://happy.cs.kuleuven.be/printers/printer-secr
3. printer4 at aqua redirects to printer-secr at happy
	using ipp://happy.cs.kuleuven.be/printers/printer-secr

Results:

lpstat -p on aqua: this shows all the printers served by aqua
lpstat -p on a client: this shows all the printers served by aqua except
  for printer1 and printer4. So this means that redirect 1 and 3 doesn't
work on the clients but redirect 2 does work.

When I go the the cups webinterface on aqua and view the printers It
show all the printers, also the 3 being redirected.
But when I want to print using lpr it return an error: lpr: error -
unable to print file: client-error-not-found
And when I use kprinter it doesn't show printers 1 and 4, just like with
lpstat -p.

Can anyone help me with the problem? Thanks in advance!

greetz
Michael De Vlaminck