Big latency when printing

Kevin Ivory Ivory at SerNet.de
Wed May 31 08:07:16 PDT 2006

On 2006-05-26 11:01, Markus Kopf wrote:
> since version 1.1.20 kept crashing on our sles 9 server (running samba 3.0.22), I have upgraded to version 1.2.0.
> CUPS doesn't crash anymore, but now I'm having a nasty latency when printing. The time the printer actually starts printing after the job has been submitted takes from about 30 secs up to 4 minutes.
>
> Depending on the application printing from my WinXP clients, the client is blocked for the time beeing until the job has been accepted/ submitted or whatever.
>
> The only error that is logged in error_log is:
> cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
>
> Besides this, everything looks just fine.
> Can anyone help me out with this?

we helped looking into this and the problem was not Cups but
DNS timeouts due to multicast-DNS. The network had
been using the TLD .local
The solution available with SLES 9 SP1:
include the entry "mdns off" in /etc/host.conf

Kevin
--
   _             |  Kevin Ivory          |  Tel: +49-551-3700000
  |_     |\ |    |  Service Network GmbH |  Fax: +49-551-3700009