[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1650: Web Interface: Improvements to the SNMP autodiscovery

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon May 1 12:42:38 PDT 2006

[STR New]

The new SNMP backend for autodiscovery of network printers is *very* nice.
But I suspect it can become a distraction very quickly when used in an
environment with dozens or hundreds of printers, since it reruns every
time the /admin page is accessed.

The immediate usability problem with the current UI is that the list of
discovered printers being very long will "hide" the class and job
management functions on the bottom of the page.

I'm not sure if CUPS-Get-Devices is a needed pre-requisite to access the
Admin frontpage.

However, it seems to me that an on-demand run via a separate button
"Discover Printers in my Network Automatically" will be a better solution.

Why not show the list of discovered printers only after a click on "Add
Printer" occurred? Why not running the CUPS-Get-Devices request only then?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1650
Version: 1.3-feature