[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1647: Please restore the usb:/dev/whatever syntax option

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 1 18:30:49 PDT 2006

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

We will not be restoring the usb:/dev/usb/lpN functionality.

The hardwired device filename isn't stable and caused no end of problems
in CUPS 1.1.x. Also, we will likely be moving away from using the USB
printer driver entirely and using libusb instead...

As for addressing multiple printers, we use the serial number reported by
the printer; for devices that do not report a serial number, you are
basically screwed until we get the libusb version of the backend finished
up.

As for migration pain, we started using the current syntax in CUPS 1.1.16
which was released October 7, 2002, 3.5 years ago...

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1647
Version:  -feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix