[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1687: Unable to print using LPD

Josep M. jmgorro at gmail.com
Mon May 15 06:09:43 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I have FC4  with CUPS 1.2rc3.
This PC has an HP 6210 All-in-One printer using USB port.
>From CUPS server (this PC that have printer connected locally) it is
possible to print to this printer without problems.

I have to use LPD as a print protocol (for older SW requirements) so I
installed cups-lpd package to allow print sharing across the network.

To check is LPD is running fine I'm using a W2K PC (this one is using
other LPD printers without problems that are connected to Axis print
servers) with TCP/IP port connected to CUPS server.

When I try to send a print job the error Unsupported format
'application/octet-stream' appears.

I have application/octet-stream uncommented on both mime.types and
mime.convs so this isn't the problem.

Also cups-lpd is started using xinetd.

I've attached error_log for a test print job failed.

I've located some forums arround the web where similar problem is detected
but or is solved uncomenting the lines on mime.* files or any other
solution is given.

Please, help. I think that this is a bug.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1687
Version: 1.2rc3