[cups.development] A postscript rendering filter

Matt Anderson mra at hp.com
Mon May 22 13:51:25 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> You should just set the job-sheets attribute using the context you
> get via the domain socket.  That said, the context of the application
> may not reflect the context of the document being printed...

It almost always doesn't reflect that context.  It supersedes it, which
meets the evaluation requirement, but is less than useful for the MCS
case which is Redhat's main goal.  The advisory label should bridge this
gap.

> I don't think this will work, since lp and lpr are only two ways of
> submitting jobs to CUPS.  KDE and GNOME applications both use the
> native CUPS API now, so that will also need to be taken into
> consideration.  If you change things at the CUPS API level then
> you should be well covered...

I'll look into that.  Perhaps a check during cupsFileOpen and an added
field to cups_file_t?

> But the security banners would be added to the sanitized PostScript,
> not to the original PostScript, so even if the user added showpage
> magic to the original document, that would not be passed on in the
> pswrite output from Ghostscript...

hmmm..  This sounds good to me, but I'm pretty sure my security
evaluator isn't going to like this answer.

http://www.cups.org/espgs/documentation.php

> When I click on the CUPS Raster Format HTML link, I get the
> correct HTML...
>
> Also, the current CUPS book talks about it, as does the CUPS DDK
> manual.

Those are all great, thanks.

-matt