CUPS 1.2 device auto detecting

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 26 19:56:49 PDT 2006

anonymous wrote:
> In the web GUI of CUPS 1.2.0, add printer will invoke
> /cups-1.2.0/backend/snmp.c to detect printers in the network.
> Per my understanding, snmp.c will do the following:
> 1. CUPS uses SNMP device type and device description OID to broadcast and
> detects printers
>
> 2. CUPS tries to determine connection URI. It tries various URIs, in the
> sequence of IPP, socket 9100, then lpd
>
> 3. If the device support IPP, it will then request printer-make-and-model
> IPP attribute from the printer.
>
> As printer information has already be aquired using SNMP in the first step,
> and the support for SNMP is way better than IPP (some printers support IPP,
> but might not support all the IPP attributes), should CUPS just using SNMP
> sysDescr to match PPDs?

Currently the SNMP backend uses the IPP attributes if they are
available and non-null, and uses SNMP attributes as the fallback.

As I've mentioned in the STR you filed, as we make the SNMP backend
smarter we'll be able to get more accurate information, but currently
the IPP attributes are always better than the SNMP device description
OID value, in particular because they work for multi-port print
servers.