[cups.general] socket://Internet-IP:631 does not reach localhost:631

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 1 07:13:10 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 08:58, NeroZero wrote:
>I am having a router that connects via DSl to the internet! On it is my
> PC where I run cups! Now I want my printer to be reached from the
> internet: i told my router to forward all TCP to internet-IP:631 to
> localhost:631! now why does it not work and the regular localhost:631 in
> the WWW browser does not appear. The attempt all but times out... Can it
> be that there is a configuration settings of cups that does not accept
> printing requests from out of the current subnet? How would I change
> this?

Yes, if you pull /etc/cups/cupsd.conf into an editor and read the comments
it should become much clearer regarding what you want to do.

However, I'd never expose a printer to the internet, paper and ink costs
enough as it is.  Get it behind some sort of a password protection and use
strong passwords to protect it from the script kiddies.  Some of that
setup can also be done in this same file, but it isn't as well documented
as it could be.