printer config options 1.22 / 1.25 ?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Nov 2 04:08:51 PST 2006

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when configuring my NRG printer,
> version 1.22 and 1.25 show different options to a field.
>
> E.g.  under  'Media Source'
> version 1.2.5 offers
> Bypass Tray, Tray1, .. ,Tray4
>
> the older version - using exactly the same ppd file in
> /usr/share/cups/model
>
> offers
> Bypass Tray, Tray1, .. ,Tray4, Auto  <=====
>
> This makes sense since the printer (a Nashuatec multifunction copier)
> has the feature to automatically select a suitable tray which is
> not empty.
>
> If I edit the resulting duplex.ppd file in /etc/cups/ppp (version 1.2.5)
> and set DefaultInputSlot to 'Auto'
> the web interface still shows 'Bypass Tray'.
> But if I try to select 'Bypass Tray' from the web interface
> I get an error message saying that this option conflicts with
> the 'duplex' option.
>
> What might be the reason?
>
> Many thanks for hint,
>
> Helmut.

IIRC, the CUPS supplied "Auto" choice has been abandoned due to
reported problems (I don't remember the details now).

But yyou may edit the media source list of choices accordingly,
i.e. there must be a selectable choice for your "Auto" default.
And the value associated with this keyword must be the
correct one for the repsective printer.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke