Solaris, cups, cups-lpd, and Sun PAPI

Walter R. Moore moorewr at eckerd.edu
Fri Nov 3 08:30:24 PST 2006

We use Sun systems as workstations, and we use Sun Rays as public kiosks. We've installed Cups in place of Solaris LP, and this works perfectly for StarOffice, Xprint-enabled Firefox, Acrobat Reader, etc etc etc.

However, Sun's build of Gnome uses their build of PAPI. This evidently iss making an lpd call to localhost to send the print job.

We added cups-lpd to Solaris 10 inetadm, and on the print-host, this works perfectly. However! If the station the user is has cups queues pointed at another cups server, it will accept the job via cups-lpd, but it is never relayed to the print server.

Has anyone solved this or seen an anologoius cups-lpd situatoion in their environment? Sun's only suggestion was to put Solaris LP back on the system, and all I can is, well, yuck.

CUPS Print Server -- gedit -- prints fine

Server B -- gedit - accepts job - does not relay it to CUPS print server

Thanks,
-Walter Moore