FreeBSD 6.1, CUPS 1.2.2

Ken Sublett ksublett at coloradomtn.edu
Sun Nov 5 10:03:08 PST 2006

I have configured CUPS on a FreeBSD 6.1 installation.  The configuration
points to a Buffalo USB print server. The print server has one Deskjet 970Cxi attached to it.

I can print from the command line or from applications when I am logged on as root; when I am logged on as a user printing fails whether from the command line or from applications. A proper AllowUser line is in the printers.conf file.

If as a user I execute:

 lpr -P DJ970 zooPlot.ps

The following is returned:

 lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: No such file or directory
 lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.

If as a user I execute:

   /usr/local/bin/lpr -P DJ970 zooPlot.ps

The following is returned:

  /usr/local/bin/lpr: Not Implemented

It would seem that /usr/bin/lpr has not been shadowed for a user.

Either of the above command line entries will print the file when logged on as root; it seems lpr has been shadowed for root.  The same
applies to the other lp related commands.

I have updated ports and reinstalled CUPS several times.  Obviously, I
am missing something simple here.  Any help will be very much appreciated.