Any advice of which printer to get?

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Nov 7 01:50:01 PST 2006

> Hi!
>
> I have just started in a new job, and they have given me among other things the hob to get a new printer for the linux-rooms at our school.
>
> They have the following requirements :
>
> 1. The printer must be an inkjet
> 2. The printer must have an ethernet connection
> 3. Minimal installation required
> 4. The superusers already know how to use CUPS to stop and start queues so the printer must work in CUPS
>
> I have looked at a HP deskjet 6980/6940 but im not sure if this will work with CUPS without to much work.
>
> Any tips to give me on this printer or any others you might recommend instead?
>
> Per R Skaatoey

Why an inkjet? Cheap to buy, but relatively expensive to run. Unless you only want to print colour images fairly infrequently, I'd suggest a (colour?) laser printer. You don't say how many users you would like the printer to serve, and for how many working hours a day.

No-one has ever been fired for buying an HP laser printer, have they? :-)

John A. Murdie