Any advice of which printer to get?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Nov 7 05:41:44 PST 2006

Per Ragnar Skåtøy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have just started in a new job, and they have given me among other things the hob to get a new printer for the linux-rooms at our school.
>
> They have the following requirements :
>
> 1. The printer must be an inkjet
> 2. The printer must have an ethernet connection
> 3. Minimal installation required
> 4. The superusers already know how to use CUPS to stop and start queues so the printer must work in CUPS
>
> I have looked at a HP deskjet 6980/6940 but im not sure if this will work with CUPS without to much work.
>
> Any tips to give me on this printer or any others you might recommend instead?

Most of the HP inkjets are good choices; see the HPLIP project page
(http://hplip.sf.net) for a list of supported printers.

You can also look at the low-end color lasers - Lexmark and HP both
offer nice models with comparable quality and better print speeds.
Unless you will be printing photos, the color laser will probably be
the better choice (lower operating costs and faster)