[cups.general] dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 8 05:17:11 PST 2006

Hi there,

I'm sure this is dumb question, and that I should be able to find the
answer by searching harder, but I've had no luck so far and this is
driving me crazy. I previously (last night) had a DIFFERENT error
message which I cannot reproduce.

My distro is Gentoo; it offers only a handful of CTAN packages via
its own package manager (Portage) but also allows the MiKTeX Tools
package manager to be installed, so I have used this to install the
Arev font. After adding its character map to updmap.cfg, then
installing the Mathdesign & Bera fonts which it requires LaTeX
documents seem to compile fine:

   $ rubber arev.tex
   compiling arev.tex...
   $

This .tex file is the "LaTeX source of PDF original from <http://
www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/arev/index.html>, <http://www.tug.dk/
FontCatalogue/arev/arev.tex> with only one modification:
   %\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
   \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

However dvipdf doesn't find this font:
   $ dvipdf arev.dvi
   dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favri8r not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favmb7t not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favmr7t not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favmri7m not found, characters will be left blank.
   dvips: Font favmr7t not found, characters will be left blank.
   $ locate favr8r favri8r favb8r favmb7t favmr7t favmri7m favmr7t
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favr8r.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favri8r.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favb8r.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmb7t.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmr7t.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmri7m.tfm
   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmr7t.tfm
   $

So I try to cheat:

   $ kpsewhich --show-path .tfm
   .:/home/stroller/texmf/fonts/tfm//:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/
tfm//:!!/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm//:/var/cache/fonts/tfm//
   $ ls /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/
   emerald  mathdesign  public
   $ cd /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/
   $ sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/ .
   Password:
   $ ls
   arev  emerald  mathdesign  public
   $ ls *
   arev:
   ArevSans-Bold.tfm         favbi8r.tfm   favmri7m.tfm  zavmbi7m.tfm
   ArevSans-BoldOblique.tfm  favbi8t.tfm   favr8r.tfm    zavmr7t.tfm
   ArevSans-Oblique.tfm      favmb7t.tfm   favr8t.tfm    zavmr7y.tfm
   ArevSans-Roman.tfm        favmbi7m.tfm  favri8r.tfm   zavmri7m.tfm
   favb8r.tfm                favmr7t.tfm   favri8t.tfm
   favb8t.tfm                favmr7y.tfm   zavmb7t.tfm

   emerald:
   fapmd.tfm     fdcmd7te.tfm  fjdmw8c.tfm   fsbmi.tfm    fspmr8t.tfm
   fapmd7t.tfm   fdcmd8r.tfm   fjdmw8r.tfm   fsbmi7t.tfm  fspmr8y.tfm
   fapmd8r.tfm   fdcmd8rc.tfm  fjdmw8t.tfm   fsbmi8c.tfm  fsymp.tfm
   fapmd8t.tfm   fdcmd8re.tfm  fjdmw8y.tfm   fsbmi8r.tfm  fsymp7t.tfm

Obviously I've missed something obvious here, so I'd be grateful for
any pointers. I am afraid I am not finding paths to be a simple
matter in production of LaTeX documents. What's annoying is that the
emerald fonts were also installed using the MiKTeX package manager,
and that works perfectly.

I am posting here because my version of dvipdf is the Ghostscript
version:

   $ equery belongs `which dvipdf`
   [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/dvipdf in *... ]
   app-text/ghostscript-esp-8.15.3 (/usr/bin/dvipdf)
   $ eix ghostscript-esp
   * app-text/ghostscript-esp
      Available versions:  7.07.1-r8 ~7.07.1-r10 8.15.1_p20060430
8.15.3 ~8.15.3-r1
      Installed:           8.15.3
      Homepage:            http://www.cups.org/espgs
GPL Ghostscript with better printer support
   $

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Stroller.