[cups.general] cups vs. system V lp ???

helices helices at helices.org
Wed Nov 8 07:13:35 PST 2006

Hello!

[1] A printing company has switched from SysV lp to cups.  They have a
    plethora of tools they have developed to query and manage lp queues;
    which do NOT work with cups.  However, their worst problem is the
    tens of thousands of jobs they have queued, and the way cups
    regularly polls queues, ALL queued jobs, and consumes an inordinate
    amount of system resource.

[2] I have been asked to develop two (2) custom processes:
    [A] A process to receive print job contents on STDIN, and build
        System V lp queues, which can be managed by their existing
        tools.
    [B] A process to receive a print job request on STDIN, from which
        this process will select the appropriate queues (as built in
        [A]), and insert that print job into cups.

[3] Are there ways that cups can better manage large queues (as outlined
    in [1])?

[4] What are the pluses and minuses of the approach in [2]?

[5] Where can I get more information on queue building, as outlined in
    [2][A]?

[6] Is there a CLI to cups?  Where is this documented?

I am not a printing expert -- for me, it simply works.  However, I am an
accomplished programmer, especially Perl; and I need to establish the
scope of such a project, in order to quote it to my client.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

helices