[cups.general] cups vs. system V lp ???

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Nov 8 08:53:00 PST 2006

helices wrote:
> Hello!
>
> [1] A printing company has switched from SysV lp to cups.  They have a
>     plethora of tools they have developed to query and manage lp queues;
>     which do NOT work with cups.  However, their worst problem is the
>     tens of thousands of jobs they have queued, and the way cups
>     regularly polls queues, ALL queued jobs, and consumes an inordinate
>     amount of system resource.

CUPS doesn't do polling unless you tell it to.

What version of CUPS are you using?

What operating system?

How have you configured your queues?

> [2] I have been asked to develop two (2) custom processes:
>     [A] A process to receive print job contents on STDIN, and build
>         System V lp queues, which can be managed by their existing
>         tools.

You want to create a new printer queue for each job, or you want to
create a job on an existing queue?

>     [B] A process to receive a print job request on STDIN, from which
>         this process will select the appropriate queues (as built in
>         [A]), and insert that print job into cups.
>
> [3] Are there ways that cups can better manage large queues (as outlined
>     in [1])?

We'll need to know more information to even begin to answer that
question.  We *do* have customers with many thousands of queues on
their servers, and CUPS works quite well in those environments.

> [4] What are the pluses and minuses of the approach in [2]?

What are you really trying to do?

> [5] Where can I get more information on queue building, as outlined in
>     [2][A]?

man lpadmin

http://localhost:631/help

> [6] Is there a CLI to cups?  Where is this documented?

See above.