Printing wants to stop

Daniel Button kdanb at kdanb.com
Wed Nov 8 17:30:01 PST 2006

Hi,

I am running Centos 4.4 with K12LTSP.  I have been running Centos since I installed it at Centos 4.1.  Everything has been running flawlessly for about a year and a half.  Now in the past month, the print queue wants to stop.  I need to go into the gui and tell it to start.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  If I reset the server, printing will usually come back.

The printer is a HP1320 laser printer connected to a remote host as a JetDirect printer at port 9100.  I have had no problems with the connection until the past month as stated above.

I have had this problem before with a previous server running RedHat 9 with K12LTSP with a HP 950 InkJet printer.  At the time, I thought that I had screwed up the configuration because I had screwed too much with yum and added packages that I should not have.  The server was replaced with the current server running Centos.  This time I have not modified the yum.conf.  I have updated as packages came through.  The server has been rock solid since the original installation.

The queue was configured to be in debug mode.  The error that I found was the following:
E [07/Nov/2006:15:39:24 -0500] [Job 1299] Unable to send print file to printer: Connection reset by peer
E [07/Nov/2006:15:39:24 -0500] PID 11424 stopped with status 1!

I found no other entry in the log file beginning with the "E ...."

Has anyone else had this problem or something like it?  What was the answer?  If you need additional info, please let me know.  I was not sure on how much info to barrage the post with to start.

Thanks for the help!!

Dan Button
"Dan"
kdanb at kdanb.com