Printing black-and-white

tong suntong001 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 08:28:33 PST 2006

> > How can I do black-and-white-only printing for even color sources?

> > Can I give my printer an alias for black-and-white-only printing, and use that whenever I want to print black-and-white?
>
> If your printer is a native PostScript printer and it's PPD
> provides options to select the color model,

No, it is a inkjet printer driven by Gutenprint:

Location: USB Printer #1
Make and Model: Epson Stylus CX1500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc3
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX1500

> then change the default color model defined in the PPD.

I don't know about PPD, and I hope that I don't need to touch any system files. Changing the default color model defined in the PPD might not alows me to print color documents as color and/or black-and-white, as I wish.

That's why I want give my printer an alias for black-and-white-only printing, and use that whenever I want to print black-and-white, and use the real printer name for color printing.

thanks