I've stuffed somthing up

Don Gingrich gingrich at cs.rmit.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 19:51:49 PST 2006

I've got two printers hanging off a SuSE 10.0 system runnning CUPS
1.1.23. Printing works OK to an Epson R310 (installed as an R300)
on a USB port. The other printer, an HP Laserjet 1200 on lp0 is
causing problems. It was working previously. I'm not sure that I remember any particular changes that I may have made to configuration.

Kernel is 2.6.13-15.12-bigsmp on a Tyan Tiger 2xAMD 2600+ with
3GB RAM.

Trying to see what process is using the parallel port reports:
# fuser /dev/lp0
/dev/lp0:            15255
# ps -efa | grep 15255
lp 15255  5909  0 12:47 ?   00:00:00 parallel:/dev/lp0 24  Test Page 1

The web interface reports:
HP LaserJet 1200 Postscript (recommended)

Location: Parallel printer on /dev/lp0
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Parallel port busy; will retry in 30 seconds..."
Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

The Job queue for the printer (also from the web interface)
 	laserjet1200-25   	Test Page   	   	15k   	 processing since
Mon 13 Nov 2006 01:02:58 PM EST

It is presently 14:24 so I don't think it's goint to print.

I removed the job from the queue but process 15255 was still there
untill I killed it with a HUP signal.

I've tried removing all of the jobs from the queue and removing and
restoring the parport, parport_pc and lp kernel modules.

I've tried printing to the Laserjet from a different machine- this
works.

I've tried restarting CUPS, I've tried a restart of the system.

In the system probing on a restart, the system detects the laserjet.

It's probably something obvious, but what little hair I still have
is rapidly disapearing.

I am begining to believe that this may not even be a CUPS problem since
the following occurred:

# fuser /dev/lp0
# cat bad-times >/dev/lp0

This resulted in a system hang- bad-times is the old e-mail "virus
warning" less than a page of pure ASCII text. Dumping it directly to
/dev/lp0 should result in output, if the parallel port is behaving
correctly.

Is there some other test I should be trying? Or is there a fix that
I've missed?

Thanks,

-Don