[cups.general] Using lp with kubuntu

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 15 18:16:38 PST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 20:36 , Jonathan wrote:

> bigbird at sananda:~/bin$ lpstat
> _Printer_: Ritas_DJ460 at sananda 'Ritas Portable Deskjet' (dest
> Ritas_DJ460 at sananda)
> Queue: 5 printable jobs
> Server: pid 4551 active
> Rank   Owner/ID               Pr/Class Job Files
> Size Time
> 1      bigbird at sananda+701          A   237 printcap
> 195 10:02:55
> 2      bigbird at sananda+21           A   238 (STDIN)
> 15694 10:02:55
> 3      bigbird at sananda+76           A   176 (STDIN)
> 14982 10:02:55
> 4      bigbird at sananda+76           A   177 (STDIN)
> 14982 10:02:55
> 5      bigbird at sananda+680          A   178 print
> 2453 10:02:55
> done   bigbird at sananda+701          A   231 printcap
> 195 10:02:55
> Error: loop in printcap- Ritas_DJ460 at sananda -> Ritas_DJ460 at sananda

The problem here is that you're getting the LPRng versions of lp and
lpstat instead of the CUPS ones, and no, they won't work too well
together on the same machine.  You could try disabling LPRng's lpd
and adding cups-lpd to {,x}inetd.conf, but I wouldn't want to trust
such a configuration.

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu