cups print to file - but file size is zero

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Sat Nov 18 13:56:25 PST 2006

Nitin Kanaskar wrote:

> I checked the /var/log/messages - but did not find
> any error message there.
> Also checked rights of the directories - /var , /var/spool, and
> /var/spool/cups. /var & /var/spool are owned by root user, root group.
> /var/spool/cups is owned by root user, lp group. Inside the
> /var/spool/cups directory, there were no d* files, instead c* files. and a
> tmp directory. All these files were owned by root user, sys group. The tmp
> folder was owned by root user, lp group. I am trying to understand this -
> but the program which tries to access these files is lpr, right? which
> does not have rights to access these directories and the files in them.
> Is this what is happening, so that I need to change access rights of
> these folders and then they would be accessible by this user.
> Please clarify if my guess about the user and these directories
> is correct.

Seems that nobody, except root can write to the directory /var/spool/cups.
cupsd (with non-root rights) is the process which tries to write a file
into this directory.

Working permissions can look like this:

drwxr-xr-x  root root  /var
drwxr-xr-x  root root  /var/spool
drwx--x---  root lp    /var/spool/cups
drwxrwx--T  root lp    /var/spool/cups/tmp

best regards!
Bernd