Different results, similar setup

Paul Sonntag aariel_us at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 10:42:07 PST 2006

All,

I searched through the forum, but could not find an appropriate thread.

I am trying to setup OpenBSD as my primary printer server for Linux, Mac and Windows clients. I've got a Dell 1100 laser (uses espgs and the Samsung GDI driver) connected via USB to an OBSD printer server running CUPS. I can print test pages successfully from the OBSD print server.

The problem I'm having is that when I try to setup an IPP printer under Linux, I cannot print successfully. I just get:

-12345X at PJL  SET  PAPERTYPE = NORMAL ON
@PJL SET DENSITY = 3
@PJL...
@PJL BITMAP START

What's odd is that when I connect the printer to the Linux host via USB and use CUPS, everything prints correctly. But when I have the printer connected to the OBSD printer server and try to setup a CUPS IPP printer under Linux, I get the above preamble.

So as I understanad printing with CUPS, the printing application uses the driver to create a print file which is rasterized by the espgs/gdi driver in this case and the print server sends the raster to the printer for output. As a USB printer under Linux, it uses the gdi driver and espgs to rasterize the print job, and then send the raster to the printer. As an IPP printer under Linux, it should do exactly the same thing, except now either the print file or the raster is being sent to another CUPS queue sitting ahead of the printer. Which should either rasterize the print file or pass the raster onto the printer. Which is it? and why isn't it working?

Thanks,

Paul