Practicalites of non-DSC-conformant PostScript

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 05:42:01 PST 2006

Mike Sweet wrote:
> You can play with the application/vnd.cups-raw MIME type definition
> (or add your own .types file with additional rules) to flag the output
> from the Windows clients as raw...

Umm, I don't understand that. Unless we have separate queues for the Windows and Linux systems (something I don't want to have because of the otherwise unnecessary duplication of entities), the mime.types file will be used to identify the PostScript coming from the Windows clients as PostScript, and the mime.convs file will `recommend' that it be pushed through pstops(1). If I change mime.convs to treat PostScript as raw, then PostScript coming from the Linux systems (to the Solaris print server) will be treated rawly, too, with the loss of functionality.

Is my suggestion of a cupsd.conf directive, say:

ProcessRaw 192.168.0.*/24

(or a generalisation:

DefaultOptions 192.168.0.*/24 raw

to cause all PostScript coming e.g from IP addresses 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 to be treated rawly by the CUPS server) beneath the pale? (Ok, it's an example of extra complexity which in general I'd rather do without.)

John A. Murdie