Practicalites of non-DSC-conformant (Windows) PostScript

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Nov 24 07:49:29 PST 2006

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Mike Sweet wrote:
>
>>John A. Murdie wrote:

>>>Umm, I don't understand that. Unless we have separate queues for the Windows and Linux systems (something I don't want to have because of the otherwise unnecessary duplication of entities), the mime.types file will be used to identify the PostScript coming from the Windows clients as PostScript, and the mime.convs file will `recommend' that it be pushed through pstops(1). If I change mime.convs to treat PostScript as raw, then PostScript coming from the Linux systems (to the Solaris print server) will be treated rawly, too, with the loss of functionality.
>>
>>You can make a rule that matches on Windows PostScript output...
>

> Of course. Has anyone reading this already written a set of rules which have been proven in practice? Perhaps you could submit them to the project?
>
> My experience in the past was that Microsoft-produced PostScript was non-DSC-conforming, but I haven't looked at this matter for a long while, and perhaps things are better now. I now have only a couple of cases where - apparently - the Microsoft PostScript is non-DSC-conformant (and which the CUPS pstops filter apparently breaks) but, since the Windows clients of our CUPS system have already done all the processing required on the file, perhaps it would be wise for the CUPS system to be configured to recognise them and treat them rawly.
>
> John A. Murdie

I have hacked two filters which (nearly) successfully fix the DSC violations
of the Windows PostScript generators (one filter for the NT4 kernel mode thing
and one for the newer use mode driver for W2K and higher). But as we - in both
cases - use the CUPS modified drivers (which pass options via the %cupsJobTicket:
comments) we had to slightly modify the scheduler. This is the reason why we hesitated
to publish these two filters; it would be desirable to have configurable
prefilters (like requested by another poster recently).

But if your life depends on such a beast, contact me off the list.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung