Practicalites of non-DSC-conformant (Windows) PostScript

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Nov 24 09:03:36 PST 2006

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>>I have hacked two filters which (nearly) successfully fix the DSC violations
>>of the Windows PostScript generators (one filter for the NT4 kernel mode thing
>>and one for the newer use mode driver for W2K and higher). But as we - in both
>>cases - use the CUPS modified drivers (which pass options via the %cupsJobTicket:
>>comments) we had to slightly modify the scheduler. This is the reason why we hesitated
>>to publish these two filters; it would be desirable to have configurable
>>prefilters (like requested by another poster recently).
>>
>>But if your life depends on such a beast, contact me off the list.
>>
>>Helge Blischke
>>Softwareentwicklung
>>SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
>>http://www.srz.de
>

> Thank you very much for the offer, Helge. I will have to think about it, as the matter seems complicated. (Though it's obviously a good solution for you.) I will see how successful I am at writing mime.types rules which recognise Windows PostScript, when I next have some time!
>
> John A. Murdie

As long as you do not use the %cupsJobTicket stuff (i.e. you use
the unmodified, original M$ driver code), it is sufficient to
define the mime types and respective conversion rules.

The scheduler hack I mentioned is only to ensure that for these
document types (which are NOT "applications/postscript" but
something slightly different) the job ticket code gets activated.

Helge