lpr(1)-ing multiple files with 1.2.5

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 09:43:04 PST 2006

One of our users has reported that when he tries to command lpr(1) from version 1.2.5 to print more than one PDF file at a time, although each file prints ok separately, nothing appears. The same is true of lp(1), though you do get the "request id is p1-267 (2 file(s))". There is no error message on standard error (or standard output).

I've turned LogLevel up from our usual `info' to `debug', but see nothing unusual. (Though so much is output, it is difficult to tell!) Before I report a bug, is this a known problem? I can't see anything in the known bugs list, or anything in the 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 release notes that suggest that this problem has been fixed there.

(I'd update to 1.2.7, but CUPS updates are coming with greater rapidity that I have time to keep up with!)

John A. Murdie