Problem compiling ESP Ghostscript on AIX

Adrian Davis adrian.davis at lewisham.gov.uk
Tue Nov 28 04:38:36 PST 2006

> I downloaded ESP Ghostscript 8.15.3 from the easysw.com website.
>
> I'm trying to compile this on AIX 5.2 with the AIX version 5 'C' compiler (I've already installed CUPS from the Easy Software Products CD). When I run configure it fails and gives the following error in the log...
>
> configure:1397: checking for gcc
> configure:1426: result: no
> configure:1477: checking for cc
> configure:1493: found /usr/sbin/cc
> configure:1503: result: cc
> configure:1667: checking for C compiler version
> configure:1670: cc --version </dev/null >&5
> cc: 1501-216 command option -version is not recognized - passed to ld
>   C for AIX Compiler, Version 5
>
> …Any ideas what I can do to get this to work?

I've now looked at the log in a bit more detail and have found, what is probably the **real** error, later on...

configure:1683: $? = 249
configure:1707: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1710: cc    conftest.c  >&5
configure:1713: $? = 0
configure:1759: result: a.out
configure:1764: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:1770: ./a.out
Could not load program ./a.out:
        Dependent module libc.a(shr.o) could not be loaded.
Could not load module libc.a(shr.o).
System error: No such file or directory
configure:1773: $? = 255
configure:1780: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

...Again - Can anybody help?

Many Thanks,
   =Adrian=