CUPS could not print due a syntax error in printers.conf

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Tue Nov 28 10:03:57 PST 2006

Rolando Reyes wrote:

> Hello CUPS community, I have two question about CUPS.
>
> 1. When there is syntax error in the file PRINTERS.CONF like "Iddle"
> instead of "Idle" what happend with CUPS: Whole CUPS fail to print or only
> the involved printer in the definition with the syntax error ?

This is no problem, except device-uri or similar important string is wrong.
Only the involved printer is affected.

> 2. When the error is like a "<" omitted in printers.conf what happen with
> CUPS. What printers works the ones that are defined before the line error
> and the rest not or what happend?

Only the printers before this error works.

Never saw a corrupted printers.conf (we have more than 20 cups servers and
300 printers). You can avoid corruptions with using reiserfs4 or any other
file system which supports atomic transactions. Also making a backup of
your lpadmin commands may be a good idea.

PS: We store our printers and default options in a SQL database.

best regards!
Bernd